A new app is here for iOS! Important FAQs
Some exciting changes are here for Accountable2You on iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch!
We've been working hard behind the scenes to bring you a brand new app for iOS, and it's now available in the app store! It uses entirely new technology behind the scenes, so in addition to better monitoring, it also provides a much smoother connection on your devices.
Switching over to the new app should be a seamless transition for most folks, but there are a few important details to consider as well. This FAQ article covers everything you need to know about the new app.
In this article:
- What’s new?
- Does this new app change Apple’s monitoring restrictions?
- Can I keep using the old iOS app?
- Does the new iOS app have a built-in browser?
- Can I use the new app alongside another VPN?
- What devices can get the new app?
- I can't use the new app on my device, what other options do I have?
- Sounds great - how do I get the new app?
Here are a few things you can look forward to with the new app:
- Our fully rebuilt VPN is faster and more stable than ever.
- No more Accountable2You browser—the new app monitors all major browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Edge, etc.).
- The new app also monitors what you watch in the Netflix and Hulu apps—with more apps coming soon.
Does the new app change Apple’s monitoring restrictions?
While the new app does provide a bit more detailed monitoring for major browsing apps, embedded browsers in other apps, and a few more video streaming apps, we’re still limited by Apple’s monitoring restrictions on iOS.
iOS users will still see the description, "Apple Restriction - Activity Can't Be Recorded”, on activity records from most non-browser apps on iOS. Check out the following articles for more information on this topic:
- FAQ: What does "Apple Restriction - Activity Can't Be Recorded" mean?
- FAQ: iOS Apps Monitored by Accountable2You
Can I keep using the old iOS app?
Since the new app has replaced the legacy A2U app in the app store, the old app is no longer available and will no longer be supported. Here’s what that means:
- The old app has been retired from the App Store and will no longer be available.
- You can continue to use the old app on your iOS device if it’s already installed. It will continue to monitor activity, but options for troubleshooting this app going forward are limited. Once you remove the old app from your device, you will not be able to reinstall it and will need to install the new app.
- The monitoring for any devices still using the old app will officially end in June of 2022.
In short, if you’re able to switch to the new app, we highly recommend it!
Does the new iOS app have a built-in browser?
The custom A2U browser has been retired along with the old app. We can now monitor all major browsers on iOS through our primary monitoring. This monitoring does require using the VPN settings, so if you currently use the A2U browser alongside another 3rd-party VPN or MDM profile, read below to see how that may affect you.
Can I use the new app alongside another VPN?
The short answer is “no” - the new A2U app for iOS is not compatible with other VPNs. Since only one VPN profile can connect at a time, you won’t be able to use Accountable2You alongside any other VPNs on iOS devices.
What devices can get the new app?
- The new app is optimized specifically for iOS 15 and later, so we strongly recommend updating to iOS 15 for the best performance and experience. Devices running versions of iOS prior to iOS 15 are likely to experience significant performance issues on some sites and apps.
- Older iOS devices that are unable to install iOS 15 will no longer be supported.
I can't use the new app on my device - what other options do I have?
Some older iOS devices may not be able to update to a newer version of iOS - we can no longer support these devices.
We’d love for you to update your older devices and continue using Accountable2You, but we understand if this is not an option and you need to cancel. You can cancel your Accountable2You subscription at any time with the steps found here.
If you need to continue using older devices without A2U, Apple’s Screen Time settings are a great start for maintaining a degree of protection on these devices.
Here are some helpful support articles by Apple to get you started with Screen Time:
- Use Screen Time on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
- Set Content & Privacy Restrictions
- Prevent adult web content
- Prevent explicit content and content ratings
- Prevent or allow changes to other settings and features
- Use a Family Group to control Screen Time on your devices
Sounds great - how do I get the new app?
Glad you asked!