Installation Guide for iOS
Please see our video guide on setting up the Accountable2You for iOS 4.0 VPN. This tutorial assumes you have already installed the app on the device.
Step 1: Install the Accountable2You App
On your device open the App Store and search for Accountable2You. Press "GET" to install.
Step 2: Open Accountable2You
Step 3: Register Accountable2You
Step 4: Choose Your Monitoring Method
Apple has more restrictions on iOS devices than Mac computers. We have two methods of monitoring these devices - a custom browser and VPN monitoring. We recommend the VPN monitoring for the most effective accountability, however this may not work for all users.
- Our guided VPN setup allows Accountable2You to monitor all web browsing apps on your devices.
- Monitors all web access regardless of the browser used. For example, if you want to use Safari as your web browsing app, enabling the VPN allows all Safari browsing to be monitored.
- Partners will be notified if the VPN is disabled.
Note: The VPN monitoring allows Accountable2You to monitor all web browsing activity on the iOS device. It is still NOT possible to monitor general application activity, installed apps, text messages, phone calls, etc. Only web browsing is recorded. In addition, some services such as Hulu, Netflix and Amazon Video do not allow VPN connections and may not work with the VPN.
Detailed setup instructions for the VPN monitoring method are provided within the app, and can also be viewed here.
- Features a fully customized web browser inside the Accountable2You app with tabs and bookmarks that takes the place of Safari.
- A QR reader that scans QR codes and opens the content within the app.
- The ability to check for copied URL's and open them directly in the Accountable2You browser.
- Ability to set default search engine.
Note: When using the custom browsing method, the use of any other internet browser on this device will NOT be monitored. We highly recommend turning off Safari, and restricting the ability of adding any new apps for this device unless they do not have an internet browser.
For more information on using the browser, please see our help article here.
Step 5: Setup Accountability Partners
Go to www.accountable2you.com and login to your account (you can do this from the phone, or from a computer). When you login, you will see a message reminding you to set a partner for this device. Click the "Setup partners..." button and follow the instructions on your screen.
You're All Setup!
- If you selected the VPN monitoring option, you will see a "VPN" icon constantly showing at the top of your screen, and the "VPN Status" will show "Connected". You can now browse the internet through any browser on your device.
- If you opted to use the custom browser approach, your "VPN Status" will say "Not Setup", and you will need to access the internet by opening the Accountable2You app and selecting "Web Browser".
Want to test the system?
Instead of going to an inappropriate website to test the rating system, please use the link provided below to conduct a "Red Alert Test". This will generate a sample alert from your device, and you should see the alert appear on your account within a few minutes (as well as send an alert to anyone setup as an accountability partner for that device).
Click here to perform the red alert test. (Make sure you open this link inside of the AU Mobile browser if you are using the custom browser option).
You report will shortly show an activity similar to this: