Install Accountable2You for Apple Mac
We support both Intel and Apple Silicon-based Macs that still receive Apple's security updates. You can see macOS versions currently maintained by Apple here.
Step 1: Download Accountable2You for Mac
Step 2: Run and Install Accountable2You
Once you run the Accountable2You pkg file, you should see an installer window similar to the one below open on your screen:
Continue through the next prompts until you see the option to choose your install location. (The computer's main hard drive should be selected by default, so you won't need to change this in most cases.)
Click Install, and the installer should prompt you to enter your device password (the one you use to unlock your Mac). After a few seconds, you should see the screen below. Installation is complete!
Step 3: Launch the app
After the installation process is completed, the Accountable2You application should open automatically, and you’ll be presented with a screen similar to the one shown below.
If it doesn't launch automatically, try opening Launchpad and running Accountable2You from there. (Here's how.)
Unable to launch the app?
Your computer may be running an unsupported version of macOS—our team will be happy to confirm this for you!
So we can help you most efficiently, please send your "About This Mac" info to email@example.com. Here's how:
- On your Mac, select the Apple icon in the upper left corner.
- Choose About This Mac.
- Take a screenshot of the window that appears.
- Attach that to your email, and we'll take a look!
Already have an active account with Accountable2You?
- Great! Just click the Log In button, read through the prompts on the following screens, and continue to step #4 below.
Haven’t created an account with Accountable2You yet?
- Not a problem — just click "Create an Account" to sign up for a free trial on our website! Once you’ve signed up for an account successfully, return to this window and click "Log In" to sign in with your newly created username and password.
Step 4: Register the device to your account
For the software to successfully capture activity and add it to the Accountability Reports, you’ll need to sign in and register the device to your existing Accountable2You account.
- Device Name: To make it easy to identify later on the Accountability Reports, give your device a unique name, like "Nathan's Mac Computer."
- Account Name & Password: Enter the same username and password you use to sign in at
- Forgot your username or password? No worries, just click here to reset it.
Using the Family Plan with multiple, existing users?
No? Skip to step #5.
Yes? Select the family member that will be using this device.
- You’ll be presented with a list of users for your family plan, as shown below.
- Select the primary user for the device from the list.
Step 5: Review the terms and conditions.
Please take a moment to review the Terms & Conditions before proceeding. Once you're finished, click "I Agree" to continue.
Step 6: Enable Screen Recording permission for A2U
If this is the first time installing Accountable2You on your Mac, then there's one final step to finish setting up the monitoring. To enable the Screen Recording permission for Accountable2You, simply walk through these steps:
- Click the green "Check my Device" button in the A2U app.
- Select Open Settings.
- Confirm on the pop-up that you want to open System Preferences, and it should automatically open to the correct location.
- Click the padlock icon to allow changes to the settings and enter your Mac's password.
- Now, check the box next to Accountable2You and click the padlock again.
- Quit and reopen the A2U app, and you should be all set!
Want to visualize those steps? Check out the screen capture below (look for the button in the bottom right after playing to make it fullscreen)!
Why Screen Recording?
You might be wondering why our app uses the Screen Recording permission — in short, it works similarly to how we previously used the Accessibility settings. This is simply a different back-end method to capture and report the same information you're used to seeing.
Not to worry — we don't send screenshots to your accountability partners, and we don't have plans to do so!
Step 7 (OPTIONAL): Excluding Apps
Accountable2You for Mac offers an option to exclude certain applications from monitoring if this is necessary for privacy purposes. For instructions on doing this, please check out our App Exclusion for Mac guide.
You're all set!
After you follow the steps above, Accountable2You will begin monitoring all programs and browsers on this device — it will run quietly in the background, monitor activity on this Mac, and send reports and alerts to Accountability Partners. You can continue to use your device normally!
Keep in mind that Accountable2You can only monitor the profile on which it is installed. For Mac computers with multiple user profiles, be sure to repeat the install process for each user in order to ensure full device accountability.
Want to test the monitoring? Click here to learn how!